Monday, January 3, 2011

Question A answered. Bell Hooks:Cultural Criticism and Transformation


In Bell Hook’s video she discusses the superstar Madonna. She focuses on how Madonna’s early career started off as an advocate of feminism. As a rising female artist, Madonna broke new ground and challenged the sexism of the music industry. Unfortunately as Madonna got older she needed to discover new ways to stay on top and make more money.
I agree with Bell Hook’s opinion when she says that Madonna went from being a strong powerful woman to subduing herself to patriarchy and sexism. I also agree with Bell Hook when she states that Madonna symbolizes greed. Madonna reproduces sex appeal in order to make money as quickly as she can even though she is already extremely wealthy.  She also uses the media to portray a perspective of herself that is not necessarily who she is but is what society expects from a pop star.
Media is a strong tool that is often used to provide negative or unrealistic images.  The image that Madonna and other female artists often portray is sex.  As female viewers watch these artists they begin to think that in order to be “successful” and appealing, it is necessary to show some skin, kiss another woman, or be used as a sex object.

8 comments:

  1. I agree with you, because women in the industry today follow the public negative views on how women should act and portray themselves, other females watching her will think that is how they themselves should act to succeed. I like how just with watching that short video we can see how much this type of act is truly in society, and hopefully start to make changes in who we view women who do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with you as well. I think its sad how women today portray themselves in the media a certain way so they can get the attention and make more money. People shouldn't have to portray themselves a certain way in order for people to feel they are worthy of something. I think we should start working towards a way to change the way women are portrayed and sometimes even exploited in the media.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree! I think Madonna sort of started a habit of this almost. Women are using their bodies and portraying themselves as icons more and more in the media today. It is almost like a cycle, who can be the most sexy. That shouldn't define anyone's success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for agreeing with what I had to say. I look forward to reading more of your blogs and comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you about Madonna that she used sexuality in order to make more and more money.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you all as well! Madonna started as a musical icon and now is considered more of a sex symbol for men than anything else it seems. Women should not have to be considered sexual to be a musical success in todays pop culture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely agree that Madonna used sexuality in order to be more successful. It's terrible what the media has come to and what it portrays now a days. It's sad to see women actually listen to it and show more skin in order to look "sexy" because they believe it will make them more successful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In addition to her sexism, Madonna also reproduced a lot of racism in her work. She appropriated the cultures of many people of color, as well as the LGBT Community. As a rich, famous, white woman, she felt it was her prerogative to take what she wanted and use it for her own selfish benefit.

    ReplyDelete