Monday, January 17, 2011

Question K

 I defiantly learned a lot from reading the article by Julia Serano and watching the film “Beautiful daughters”.  I found the film to be really inspiring. I felt guilty as I was watching this film because I could not believe that all the women in this film had all gone through operations. And I grew to sympathize with these women because not only have they all gone through the sexual oppression of how men are towards women; they’ve also experienced the expectations of being a manly man.
                After watching the film I feel that I have more of a grasp on my opinion towards transgender oppression. Men and Women who feel that they weren’t born in the bodies they belong to and are given the chance to fix it, should not be discriminated for wanting harmony in their life.  The part of the film that really got to me was how these women feel they have to hide this part of their life to people, and when they fall in love they are terrified to share the truth. The women who choose to keep this a secret live in fear everyday that they may lose a friend if they find out the truth. No one should ever have to live this way. Cisgender’s can act as allies to combat transgender by learning to accept that a person’s soul matters more than appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment