Thursday, January 6, 2011

Question E: Chapter 8

In chapter 8 of Johnson’s book he talks about the things people do to avoid the issue of oppression. He opens with “No one likes to see themselves as connected to someone else’s misery, no matter how remote the link” (pg 108). He then goes into the strategies that dominate groups use to steer clear of conflict and the guilt of oppression.
            Johnson identifies several strategies and one of the strategies that I found intriguing was the section label “it doesn’t count if you don’t mean it”. This section refers to the actions we do every day that offend others.  These actions are ingrained into our behavior because it is what we have been taught. For example, when a man opens a door for a woman he believes he is being polite but in the opinions of some women he is being oppressive and making a statement that women cannot do things for themselves
            Other strategies include the dominate group creating the scheme of being annoyed with the topic of oppression or being too troubled with their own life to be bothered with others. These strategies put the blame on the victim by using guilt to turn the table on those trying to stand up for their rights. This only causes the cycle of oppression to continue by adding another reason to oppress the minority or under privileged.
            In my opinion, one of the ways to stop or interrupt the cycle of oppression is to identify these strategies we use. If we become aware of these techniques then I believe we will learn to stop pointing fingers at others and start looking at ourselves to find a solution to the problem. I know as I began to read this chapter I felt a lot of guilt towards myself. I never thought that not being a part of the problem is also not being a part of the solution, and silence is just as bad as causing the oppression.

8 comments:

  1. Yes, when white people talk about People of Color (POC) "playing the race card" that is a good example of putting the blame on POC for racism. As white people, we need to take responsibility for racism, and listen when POC talk about their experiences with racism, rather than rush to shut them down, minimize their experiences or blame the victim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you when you bring up the point about how Johnson states "it doesn't count if you don't mean it". You are still saying or doing the action! What an excuse. Although we may think that it is nice when a man opens the door for a woman, it does travel back to the idea that women should be sheltered and carried over puddles.. and the idea that women can't do anything for themselves. Although this action in my opinion can go both ways. To be polite, I open the door for anyone.. both men and women because I see it as the kind thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Samantha I also had a small feeling of guilt reading Johnson's chapter. I tend to keep quiet for the most part and reading this I also felt that my silence was not helping. Even though I can understand the argument from some women who may feel offended from a man opening a door for them, I don't agree with it and when it has happened to me I almost feel offended for doing something nice for someone else. Like Alex said I too open the door for anyone, woman or man because its not a hard thing to do and its polite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It proves the great inequality of our culture, the privilege and power some of us have to be able to just shrug off racism, get annoyed with it or continue to look away. we are so embedded in our whiteness we have the privilege not to know the terrors and realities of white supremacy. the privilege to not accept anything different

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also felt a little guilty, I think our society had a hard time really identifying what it means to be powerful and privileged. Johnson discusses the notion of 'passive oppression' and how people tend to just mind their own business, not really care about others, and go about their own lives. I agree that silence is worsening the oppression, we do need to identify the smaller problems and look at them more sincerely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found it very interesting that when a man holds a door open for a female that it could be looked at as oppressive. This example could lead one to think that the "I don't mean it" excuse is legitimate. However, I have mixed feelings about this because it doesn't work for cases such as sexual harassment at work. Opening a door for a woman is something that has to be thought out. This is like the example Johnson gave in an earlier chapter about women having to park in an area that seems safe so they won't be assaulted. As a male, that is something that rarely enters my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed the part about men opening doors for females. My view on that matter is that it's kind of how people are raised and its viewed as being a "gentlemen". I can definitely see now how that may come across as being oppressive and giving off the idea that women can't do it for themselves. I always open doors for people whether it be my girlfriend, my mom, an elderly person or some random guy, I just view it as a nice gesture and a friendly thing to do. Let's just hope people don't think that I'm putting them down when i'm really just trying to help them out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. “It doesn’t count if you don’t mean it” happens all the time. When ever we here someone say “just kidding” after an offensive joke or teasing a person to the point of degrading an individual. When I was reading this chapter found out I had done the “annoyed” strategy in the past. That one was difficult for me to read. However, it wasn’t planned. I had school work, I didn’t want to hear, or I didn’t have time to hear, my friend to one of her monologues. Excuses, excuses :(

    ReplyDelete