An experience where I was privileged due to my class or socio-economic status would be that I can attend college, afford my car and live in a house. I feel that my families economic status has given me a lot of opportunities that I would never have had if we couldn’t afford these things.
The experience where I was disadvantaged due to my class took place when I entered high school. Coming from a poor middle school and entering into a semi-private academy I noticed during the first few months, my freshmen class was being treated differently than some of the other students that came from a different “better off” high school.
A time I witnessed an incident of classism was when I went shopping with a friend and her cousin from west palm Florida. Her friend Laurie refused to go into Wal-Mart with us because she felt it was ‘below her’ and she insisted we went to Target instead. I really didn’t understand her problem but I decided since she was a guest I wouldn’t make a big deal out of it. I suppose if I had to go shopping with her more than once I would have said something about how spoiled she was acting.
No comments:
Post a Comment