Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Question C Answered


There are many differences and similarities between men and women. Michael Kimmel discusses that men and women are more alike than we think. He focuses on the topic that our needs are all the same. We all want the same respect, careers and lifestyles.  He suggests that woman can be erotic sexual beings as long as they feel safe and don’t need to police themselves from men.  He also says the men that participate in the care taking at home have healthier children, healthier wives, healthier bodies and have more sex. The author John Gray thinks different than Michael Kimmel. Gray believes men and women are so different they may as well be from different planets.
                In this argument I agree with Michael Kimmel.  My opinion is that men and women are very much the same. We are the same in the sense that we need the same things such as pleasure and respect. Nowadays, women can easily become providers just as well as men can become nurturers. More and more women are climbing professional ladders and more men are staying at home than in the 1970s.  When Michael Kimmel listed of the survey answers from the 1970 and from 2005, I was interested to hear that women’s answers have obviously changed since they 1970s because of the change and confidence women have acquired in the last 30 years. 

4 comments:

  1. I agree with your idea that we are all the same and all want pretty much the same things. I really liked that you brought up this point that we are all generally similar beings, but still have notable differences. I agree that human beings are all pretty similar is terms of pleasure and respect, however, I think men and women are very different in social, political, and psychological aspects.

    I also thought it was interesting that women's opinions have changed since they 70's. Women really are climbing the career ladder more and more today, I also think that these changes are due to growth in confidence and growing credit towards women over the past 30 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to see a bit more on the difference you think there is between men and women. If any? And how is this complicated by people who do not fit the strictly "male" or "female" box. We need to also remember that no personal difference of even physical difference is free from politics, and if these similarities exist or not -- they are political -- so if the political world tells us there is a difference ( equal wages/right to vote etc.) then how compelling is it really to say that "beyond" the politics everyone is equal?

    Good job on your posts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that you mentioned that women can easily be the providers of the household while men can be the nurturers. The concept of stay-at-home dads is becoming more popular these days which I think is a great way to support Kimmel's theory that men and women function better as allies when they cohesively find a balance between work and family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think one of the points that comes through from Kimmel's lecture is that although men are privileged under patriarchy, this privilege comes at a price. They are robbed of part of their humanity. Greater gender equality will benefit all of us. But the trick is getting men to give up the privilege in the shirt term to reap the benefits of a healthier life in the long term.

    ReplyDelete