Thursday, January 20, 2011

Question O

This class has opened my eyes to the real problems in our society. I always knew there was racism and discrimination against people but I never was forced to submerge myself into the details of it all. This class made me feel uncomfortable at certain points. I knew at some point in my life I was the reason discrimination continued. I have always taken a back seat and never wanted to confront others or share my opinion of what I’m thinking in fear of conflict.
            I know now what I can do to help make a difference. As I mentioned, I have always been on the sidelines afraid to step out. This is not helping anyone as I thought it was, and I will learn to be more proactive. I will not be afraid to say what is on my mind because I could make a difference if I just tried. Maybe once I make more of a stand, my friend and family will start to see what I am trying to do and follow me.
            I hope that I never have to see anyone being discriminated against but I know if I do, I will think back to this class and think of the bigger picture and realize that it is more than a onetime occurrence. I am currently looking forward towards a career in Human Resources and I will take everything I’ve learned to be a better listener, be more compassionate and have the confidence to find a solution to any discrimination I face in my future work place.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you, this class helped open my eyes to all types of discrimination I had never even thought of before. I agree that it is very hard to step out and talk against someone being discriminatory, but this class showed us how much speaking out can help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with you that at most times I have been on the side lines as well watching some of this happen. This class definitely brought the situation into light for me as well. I am one that is afraid of confrontation and hate having to deal with it. But after this class I think that I'll be able to use what I learned to help stop this discrimination and oppression from continuing. It's nice to know that others in the class are getting the same feeling out of this class that I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you admitted to being a reason why discrimination can continue. I think that most of us feel that because we are actually not contributing to it then we are not a part of the problem. People not speaking up is half the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too have taken a back seat and fueled oppression because I have been invisible to my privilege. I agree that this class at first made me feel guilty and uncomfortable but I'm glad that it did because like you it has really opened my eyes. I hope that we do make changes from we have learned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree when you say the class opened your eyes. I also knew about racism and sexism but I never was forced to think about it as deeply as in this class. It really has changed how I look at certain things such as male privilege.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found myself while taking this course completely opened up to feminism. Little things bother me on a daily basis that exemplify male privledge, but now that I understand it, I have the education to stand against it.

    ReplyDelete